Sunday, March 28, 2021

Superheroes reside in each of us


We have been having a lot of discussions recently about the power of using our voices as tools for social change. I sent some of the students an article from Uplift, titled "Female Voices the World Needs to Hear (upliftconnect.com). Asmita's response is a very moving reflection on the role of heroes. She has given me permission to share it with you. 


29 March 2021

Dear Bec

Thank you so much for sharing the interesting article, “Female Voices the World Needs to Hear” with us. Each one of the stories is equally inspiring and motivating. I believe that there is a hero inside each one of us. Although few of us dare to show it openly to others, it can be seen through our determination and courage to face and fight whatever comes our way. Amongst the list of voices in this article are people who have overcome their fear and weaknesses, showing their bold side with much courage and commitment. Their voices are now powerful - full of grace and confidence to inspire us all.

After reading the article I realised that, growing up, we all have our favourite hero, but until now, I haven’t thought of having a favourite heroine in the same way. It was funny and delightful to grow up watching superhero movies, anticipating that they will fight with, and win against, the villain. But as we grow, we come to see that superheroes don't come with masks and costumes; they reside in each of us. We are all heroes who face a lot of villains in our lives in the form of the obstacles that come our way. The superhero movies were fiction, but they taught us to fight against the bad, to be on the side of good, that good will triumph. Reading the article, it was great to see so many women raising their voices for themselves and for the good of others.

Being a village girl and being a member of the Mitrataa family, I have learned that the life of females is always tough, whether it is in a village or in an urban area. I used to think that doing home chores wasn’t difficult but now I realise that managing the home, making sure all things are done on time is great work in itself; on the other hand, I have also learned that office/professional work is equally tough. But we females never give up; no matter how hard the situation that life creates for us, we face it with courage and smiles on our faces.

All those in the article are heroes and I really admire them all, especially the mothers. Inspiring others with our own acts and culture is a great contribution and all the females in the article have found and used their voices. Not only through their words, but through their actions, they have inspired many of us to stay strong and face life’s challenges.

I am very grateful that I have one of my sources of inspiration and heroes by me. Thank you so much for always inspiring us and believing in us. Words can't express how grateful I am to have you in my journey towards accomplishing my aim. Thank you so much, that really means a lot. 

With much love, 

Asmita Shrestha 

No comments:

Post a Comment