Monday, June 3, 2013

My Life: My Dreams


Unity in diversity: Gilrs from Wiley Dream Centre                         
My name is Swostika Dangal and I am twelve years old. I am originally from Sindhupalchok district, Deurali-5. Now, I have been living at chapalkarkhana since I was nine years old. I study at grade five at Dhumrabarah secondary school. Actually, now, I do not live with my own family. I am a domestic worker but the people I live with are very good that I never feel like I am domestic worker. When I think about my past, it has a long story.

In my family at village, there are my mother, father, two sisters, younger brother and me. Actually I belong to the lower middle class family. My father is a farmer and my mother is a house wife, she remains busy doing house holds affairs most of the time and when she gets free time she helps father. My sisters and brother read in the local school of my village. My parents worked very hard for our upbringing but due to low income they feel bad when they feel they are unable to fulfill our basic needs and when I find them feeling bad I feel very bad. Sometimes I curse my life thinking why we are not rich. So, I want to do something for my family when I grow up.
When I was small I used to look at other kids going school and used to wish if I also could go. It was nightmare for us to dream of going school because our family was a poor family and our father could not afford for our education and other needs. Despite all these bad condition of our family, my father managed for our schooling and I read at local school of village up to class two. When I was supposed to be in grade three my father didn’t have money even for our admission. So we all had not any hope left.

 One of our neighbors used to live in Kathmandu for some years. He knew so many people of here. With his help, I came Kathmandu to work in one family. When we knew that I was sure to come, we all became sad but we were compelled to depart due to poverty. In return they had promised to send me to a good school. Weaving different dreams I came to Kathmandu but nothing happened as I had thought. They admitted me to a school but never allowed me to go to the school. I could not have chance to experience how it feels like to read and spend time in school. Instead, I had to work all day and night. They used to torture me when they were not in mood. Later, shared this with my parents but could do nothing. In course of spending hard times at that house, one family next to the house I used to live helped me and offered me to stay with them. Since then I have been living with this family. All the members in this family are good people. They are not different from my own family in village. They never behave me like to the worker. They always support me. They always try their best not to let me feel that I am staying far from my family.

I have my own routine to follow. I always wake up early in the morning. Then, I freshen up myself and sit for prayer for sometimes. While praying I wish it could make my dreams come true. Then I make tea for everyone. After taking tea I recheck whether my home works are completed or not and read homework I have done. After then, I help my mommy in kitchen. I take my brunch, get ready and go to school at 9 a.m. I always spend around 4 hours in school (from 10-3.30 pm). I have friends in great numbers at school. They are part of my life. We do everything together.  After school, I and my friends directly go to Dream centre. I spend 2 hours in there.

I find myself luckier because I could have double chance to come to dream centre for two sessions. Dream centre is one of my favorite places because I can learn so many useful things in here. I came here after my school. Sir and miss are very helpful and they always try to teach us new and new things. I can never forget Life skills I learnt at dream centre. Before I did not know anything about goal and why should we make a goal. But when we learnt goal setting under life skills, then everything became clearer on what role does it play in our life. Now, I have my own goal in life. In future I want to become a doctor. Most of the people in my village are illiterate and they are indifferent to their health. As a result, so many people die untimely not getting proper treatment. So, I have a dream of saving all those untimely dying people. Sir and miss in dream centre are very motivating. They keep us telling what we should do to achieve a goal we have set in our life. So, I want to thank sir and miss from the bottom of my heart.  I also have a dream of educating all of them. I am also interested in writing poems.  I utilize my leisure time often writing poems and stories. My hobbies are making good friends, reading and writing poems stories, hanging out with friends.

Now, I am very serious about my study because if I fail the exam I cannot achieve my dreams I have seen. I have responsibility to my family also. I want to set them free from poverty. It is not easy to do that but not impossible too. If I keep on working hard I can do that. In our life, we need help from so many people. Therefore, my relation with everyone is good. I never fight with friends. When I learnt the importance of cooperation, gratitude and so on, I am more curious about maintaining relation with all the people around me. I know that only cannot make this way to bright future easy.

Still I am in a very initial phase. My journey to my goals and dreams has just started. I have lots of steps to go on. I never feel shy scare to learn anything. When get confused in understanding anything I curiously ask to the seniors and teacher and my confusions are immediately solved. Last time Visitors from Wiley Company had come in our centre. They taught us so many useful things and games too. Out of all the things they taught us, I found one of the stories named ‘Two little shy pandas’ was really motivating. From that story too I understood the actual importance of avoiding shyness and fear. I always myself to build confidence. When we have speech at our centre I mostly speak first.

Sometimes, I feel like I am being distracted from my track. Even at that time, my sense about my dreams helps me to come back to the right track. I cannot take anything easy and I should not as well. Because my family’s future depends upon my future. If I fail achieving my own dreams my dreams to give happiness to my parents will be unfulfilled. I am supposed to be climbing one step up. I mean, now my final exam is coming nearer. So, I am working very hard. I am weak a bit in mathematics; I know I need to give more time for this subject. I have made short term goals until my exam is finished. I am hopeful that I will do my exam best. Goals are not easy to achieve but If we put our efforts with heart, nothing is impossible.

                                                                                                        BY:  Kamal Pulami
                                                                                                          Facilitator
                                                                                                Wiley Dream Centre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment